Saturday, July 4, 2009

Santorini Greece

Hello All!

Well Santorini.... Beautiful, but a lot of steps! It is on an island, well a mountain that is an island. It has wonderful views of course of all the other islands around it built by volcanos. Did I mention a lot of steps, or rather stairs built out of stones. So definatly had my walking sandles on. Or should I say Aunt Nan's walking sandles. I owe her an apology and you will see why in a second.

So there are three ways to get up the mountain to view beautiful Santorini. 1: Take the 2 minute ride up the cable car.

2: Ride the mules up the million stairs

3: Walk the stairs.....

Guess what we did! :)

Rode the mules of course! And boy did they stink.... thus the apology to Nan's shoes. But it was sooo worth it. The mules have no rains. You just hang onto an oversized horn on the sadle and they decide at what pace they are going up those stairs and if they choose to walk on towards the edge or towards the mountain rocks. FUN!

Once up in Santorini there is shopping galore. Which we did some of. Then we found a restaurant with a great view. We watched the sun set over the water and mountains from the restaurant. Only problem was that our restaurant was low staffed and we could not get served. So our dinner was brought to us after 9 p.m. We had to be on our ship at 9:30p.m. We also had to be ferried to our ship because it is too shallow for the ship to get to land. So the last ferry was at 9:30.

Well the food comes at 9:10 and I shovel hot rosotto down my throat, burning my mouth but trying to get something in my stomach before we ran to the ferry.

Larry said, "let's go," and we took off heading down the mountain. The cable car had an hour wait to get on and we didn't want to ride the mules, we decided that running down the on even steps in the dark, dodging mules was a better idea. Now picture this: Larry running ahead of Katie, dodging mules, oh and did I mention Mule Poop? Well there was tons of it all the way down. So Larry is running ahead of Katie dodging mules and poop yelling back at Katie "now I don't want you to twist your ankle so be careful." Katie thinking and maybe from time to time yelling back "thanks dear, I am sure you will catch me 20 feet ahead of me if I do." At first I was angry at our decision, then around the half way point, someone else from our trip yells "This is a trip of a lifetime!" I started laughing and continued to laugh the rest of the way down hill. Because honestly when else will I be running with a group of my co-workers down a mountain, smelling mule poop, dodging it, and mules running up hill and down hill, in the dark, to catch a ferry. Seriously! Ah Good Times!

No comments:

Post a Comment